Monday, May 08, 2006

What was I thinking?

I thought I could hang laundry today, on a beautiful early May morning.... Nope... black flies, mosquitoes, horse flies and paper wasps had a different idea. Got everything nearly hung up - blood running down my arm - when I just laid the remaining socks over the edge of the basket and bailed. Pooky and I had to come in.

This is VERY early for black flies. 3 Victoria Day weekends ago, we had a tour group arrive for a view of the medicine wheel garden - there was an ice storm and bitterly cold winds. The tour group left disappointed, but nothing we could do - it had been too cold to plant. Now, the season seems about 4 to 5 weeks ahead, which includes the damned black flies. Every year at this time I wonder about life in B.C. in the Gulf Islands. No bugs, no screens on the windows. The older I get the more tempted I am to head west.

No comments: