Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Years Eve Ramblings

Can't believe it's New Year's Eve... Angeni is still recovering from pneumonia, although a second trip to our own doctor provided her with the medicine she needs this time... I've got laryingitis brewing, which gives Brian fodder for all kinds of jokes... Shamanic Mime school anyone?

What a year... Saddam has been executed, James Brown passes from pneumonia, the Kyoto accord is butchered by Harper - I'm surprised he's lasted this long, frankly... The war in Iraq is a rerun of Viet Nam... More aboriginal communities are without potable drinking water (always under "study"). Polar bears near extinction. This is enough of the bad stuff... I'll mull over the good stuff and figure out what is good in the world. Help me out here... Pooky made it through Christmas and New Years - not a huge thing for the big world, but helpful in my world. I'll come up with more good stuff...

Normally I'm fairly aware of musical gossip, but when looking up some information on a favourite singer, Dusty Springfield, I was saddened to learn she died (on my birthday) in 1999 of breast cancer. I'm surprised I didn't hear that either through the news or the spirit net. Wow. She was only 59 years old.

I don't make New Years resolutions - that's a recipe for disaster. I like to focus on the good things I've done in the past year, and brain storm how to accelerate the accomplishments, if I can... One area is cooking. I'm getting more stamina for, and interest in, home cooking for the family. I always baked and experimented, but when Angeni came along, her tolerance factors for adult fare really diminished what I cooked. Eating out was also a temporary lure... Not healthy stuff. Then, because of the Food Network, I got some interest in native cooking, and pulled together all my original notebooks from when I studied midewiwin in the 1980's, various grandmother and mother's recipes and began in intensive comparison of cooking from the 1920's through the 1960's and how that compared/contrasted to native cooking. On my back burner is a book on native recipes that enhance healing, through what we call the "Ancestors Diet". That is something I feel passionate about completing in the new year, if I can.

Must go buy some toothbrushes, this New Year's Eve - long story. Blessed New Year to all...

No comments: