Monday, July 03, 2006

Fire Down Below

We went to community fireworks in Holstein yesterday (the event was rained out on Canada Day) and it was amazing. The fireworks were exploded over a lake, in the park, so we got the initial colour show, but also a secondary reflected effect. Small town gatherings are so wonderful... Angeni was impatient to have everything begin, as she felt this cut into her beauty sleep - she is the only child on the planet who doesn't think that getting to stay up late is a treat. Anyway, after 83 requests to her father of "when is this going to start?" the show got underway. Lot's of oooh and aaahhs.

The only downside is this is in the middle of farm country - I felt for those horses, cows and all the animals who would be frightened by the thunderous cannon-shot, bomb-like sounds. I hope they are alright...

As for me, I've been a mess of mosquito bites, to the point of my lips swelling... I've itched all over and the bites are the size of butter plates. A trip to Mount Forest and some Reactine later, the itching has subsided somewhat, although the swelling remains the same. The odd thing is, I was wearing long pants, but Angeni and Brian were in shorts - neither of them were aware of being bitten, nor had any similar fall-out. Even my feet were covered in bites - they still burn (hence, the fire down below).

Anyway, a wonderful centennial for Holstein and an amazing Canada Day!!

No comments: