Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What a difference a day makes...!

I've been knitting a lot over the past couple of years...  a rough mental count says 31 prayer/healing shawls, in addition to myriad hats, socks, gloves and a couple dog sweaters.  Knitting is profoundly healing.  I've knit, crocheted and sewn since childhood, but I never realized how much I need to knit.  I taught myself with books and magazines initially, because my mother was a "lefty" so it was hard to follow her movements.  My grandmother taught me some basics, but that was infrequent.  I was by enlarge self-taught.  All the years of complex lacework and spinning my own yarns have given me a sense of spiritual intertwining with the work I produce...

Today I create my own patterns, using sacred geometry.  My love of nature, and especially birds, incubated a need to create shawls which are like bird wings  I love blending the colours, graphing the designs and the math...  the math is sublime!  I adore the harmony the math creates when interpreted by the stitches, yarns and colours.  It's trippy!  Lately I incorporate the resonance patterns of crystals with the sacred geometry.  Every stitch is from my hands... the shawls birthing from the needles are deceptively simple looking.  While I tag each piece and attempt to convey the meaning of each dodem bird, the proof is in the wearing, not the words.

Visitors to our studio are impressed by the knitting.  I'm glad; it is heart-warming when people pick up on the intention of my work.  By the same token, Brian's woodwork appears simple, yet the stages and effort taken to create the items is intensive. Art is a gift from the heart and soul.

Anyway, I've drafted out and started two similar but yet very different, shawls.  One is in the progression of a rainbow, or the basic chakras.  The other shawl incorporates some of the same yarns, yet is designed to reflect Parrot. The Parrot shawl is destined for a client in Mexico.  I love that my shawls are flying around the world...  the loving intention and healing they bring to me, as maker, is something I am glad to share.  Peace.

No comments: