Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Well, the viruses love me...

Ir's nice to be popular... this virus leaves me slouched like Quasimodo, neck and shoulders in spasm, and unable to look in any direction without nausea and dizziness. This has been going on about 2 weeks, so I hope it departs for warmer climates any day now... Brian is sick with a cold, and Angeni is complaining about an earache... These are all viruses that seem to love the Lovelady's. Like that distant relative that's overstayed their welcome, these can shove off anytime...

Today I finished an article for an anthology, and shipped it off a mere day ahead of the final deadline. It is an aboriginal anthology based on life in the Guelph/K-W/Cambridge area. I understand the Ontario Arts Council is involved, so I hope it turns out well for all participants.

We are working with Angeni on cleaning up her room for the holidays. Instead of being happy with our help, she is cranky and obnoxious, worried that we're throwing out something precious. The unfortunate thing is she's a hoarder... garbage is precious to her. Not things we consider garbage, like old school drawings from 3 years ago, but actual garbage like pop cans, and cookie package liners and broken toys. I think this may be why Brian is now sick - the dust and crap on her floor is overwhelming. As her room evolves to a livable space, she is sleeping better. My parenting skills get reduced to threatening to take away her scheduled weekend activities and sleepovers for the holidays - it's the only thing that works anymore. Hopefully a couple hours tonight, and again tomorrow night, and we'll be done... Sigh...

Poor Pooky continues her decline, and I find myself grieving. We experiment with dosages of the meds from the vet, but still she coughs. Nothing shamanic is working for her, which tells me that it's soon her time... We had to put Ethol down on our 10th anniversary last year, which made for a horrible weekend (along with Brian breaking his ankle) and I hope Pook doesn't check out on our 11th anniversary, which happens Dec. 9th. 2 years in a row is too much for me, so I hope the Creator keeps her around past Christmas. She seems to breathe better with the cold air outside, like a baby with croup. Poor little thing - she's been with me almost a third of my life, and whenever she goes she'll be missed...

Time to clean up the post-dinner kitchen mess and prepare myself - actually steel myself - for the cleaning extravaganza part #3 upstairs at 6 PM.

No comments: