Friday, November 10, 2006

Remembrance Day

I saw a rather dapper, spritely octogenarian sporting his soldier's uniform, myriad medals and poppy sales bucket, braving the doorway of a local McDonalds. We were there for an urgent bathroom trip, or I'd have stopped to chat. I always feel emotional at this time of year, because my dad was a veteran, as was Brian's dad (Ken died the year we got together, so I never met him, unfortunately).

My parents met in a vet's hospital in Montreal, where my mother nursed my father for over a year, as he lay badly wounded. Had they not met, and braved the hue and cry over their cultural and religious differences, my sister and I would not be here... and yet, my dad was a changed man after the war, becoming alcoholic and abusive. The relationship issues I still have with family are a direct result of those abuses. Many men and women were changed by the war, suffering obvious physical atrocities, but less obvious mental and emotional ones - and the same applies for those soldiers in spirit, still haunted by their past, still asking for prayers. Many generations of Canadians will deal with the intergenerational ramifications of these traumas.

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day. Whether you can stomach the thought of war, or disagree with out country's involvement in the Middle East, please pray for our soldiers living and deceased. Prayer is an active, live action of positive intention, and will do wonders here and in the beyond.

Tomorrow is also the last "official" day of the Festivals of Spirit. I hope you've enjoyed your contacts as much as I have, although some rather tragic murder victims made their situation known to me in the night, and I feel if they can continue to chat, I'll follow up on their demise.

Tonight is "Most Haunted" - a show I love to watch - pass the popcorn, eh. I support these wonderful programs.

No comments: